What do you prefer? Which one is healthier, better – desi ghee or oils? Which should be used for your everyday cooking. Is every kind of oil unhealthy?
Fats are accounted as the most dreaded rival for healthy systems. Although, good fats found in food or desi ghee are beneficial. The first initiative for being healthy is to select the healthy kind of fat for cooking. Oil is also a regular element of cooking.
1. Cooking oil
Cooking oil is used to fry, bake, cook, etc. Cooking oil has a large variety of alternatives like plant oil like olive oil, palm oil, soybean oil, canola oil, corn oil, peanut oil, etc.
- Cooking oils are safe at room temperature but while heating over a certain temperature they will become unhealthy and especially when heated continuously for reusing the same oil for cooking or frying again and again.
- Cooking oils are enriched in omega 6 that leads to accelerated development of cancer cells, enhanced inflammation in the body, blood clotting, etc.
- Cooking oil is meant for the imbalance of omega 3 & 6 that causes harm to the body like heart disease, autoimmune disorders, and neurodegenerative issues.
- Cooking oil is loaded in polyunsaturated fat which our body doesn’t react to as good fat. As unhealthy fat creates mutation in the cell and clogs the arteries.
- Some cooking oils like olive oil have a very low smoke point so reusing the oil can be dangerous.
Ghee is a form of clarified butter that we used to have since our childhood. The journey of eating is introduced by smearing on chapattis, parathas, dal, or a spoonful of ghee on the rice topping. And drastically the 100% grass-fed ghee matters in the paleo diet as healthy fat.
Ghee is a kind of clarified butter and has been a vital source of fat in Indian culture from ancient times. Traditionally, ghee is made by boiling raw buttermilk. As per method, the boiled milk is allowed to get cool for 12 hours at room temperature. After this, the collected fat on the surface of the milk and the curd is set and rested overnight.
Then the next morning, the curd is churned by bilona to get cultured butter and boiled to get pure ghee. In the method, simmering aids to a nutty taste.
Ghee and clarified butter are different. In the case of clarified butter, it is simmered till the water evaporates. The milk cream on top of that one clear layer accumulates that liquid fat is known as clarified butter. It is in solid form at room temperature.
Whereas, in ghee, instead of taking out the butter when milk solids get isolated, the entire liquid is allowed to cool. The milk solids and protein turn to golden-yellow. This offers a nutty aroma to the liquid. Then it is strained off to get residue called ghee.
Read More : 5 Reasons To Use Ghee To Transition Seasons
Desi cow ghee is enriched with CLA that helps –
- Fight against heart disease and cancer
- Boost Immune system
- Cure infections
- Avoid inflammation
- Maintain insulin and blood sugar control
- Useful in weight loss
- Ghee has natural compounds like butyrate, a fatty acid, which helps with reducing inflammation and helps digestion.
- Ghee by Bilona method helps in digestion as it is a digestible dairy fat that is useful for proper digestion. Ghee assists in detoxification from the body.
Versatility of Ghee
- Traditional Medicine: In Ayurveda, ghee is used as a remedy for constipation and ulcers.
- Traditions: Ghee is used in fire customs or yagnas for events such as marriage, funerals, etc.
- Worships: Ghee is useful to illuminate the earthen lamps in puja And for cooking, prasadam is offered to the gods and goddesses.
- Healing medicine: Ghee is useful in post-surgery recovery as it has pain-relieving, anti-bacterial, and anti-microbial characteristics.
- Skin and hair care: Ghee helps in moisturizing our skin and promotes our hair to look healthier and glossier.
Which Is Healthier Ghee, or Oil For Daily Cooking?
If you want to understand cooking oil and ghee or which to choose, make sure that the ghee you are using should not be adulterated.
Many manufacturers are selling adulterated ghee under the name of A2 ghee and desi cow ghee. Make sure that you are buying only organic grass-fed desi cow ghee which is prepared using A2 milk and the conventional process of making ghee.
Unlike vegetable oil, desi cow ghee is known for being free of polyunsaturated fats. It contains pure antioxidants which assist in cleansing the body. It is loaded in vitamin A. D, E & K and also possesses a very high smoke point.
So it is an appropriate selection for cooking and frying food even at high flame. It has a lot of health benefits. Read here to be aware of the benefits of having Cow Ghee.
Read More : Cooking Oil VS desi ghee
How to add Vedic ghee to your diet for a healthier, better option?
- Start cooking using a pure desi ghee.
- Induce pure desi ghee to a cup of coffee to enjoy a creamy texture.
- For grilling chicken, you can use pure desi ghee
- spinach and vegetable sauteing by pure desi ghee.
- Pure desi ghee intake warm water on an empty stomach.
- Pure desi ghee is used as a seasoning in a salad.
- Pure desi ghee on your morning toast
- Replace milk cream in tea and coffee with pure desi ghee
- Instead of butter/oil use pure desi ghee. Pure desi ghee has healthier fat than butter. Pure desi ghee contains 13-14 g fat while in butter 11-12 g fat is present.
What makes refined oils unhealthier for consumption?
- Purification of refined oils is done with the help of chemicals. Ultimately, the final product we receive is a white and bland oil deprived of all the nutrients of the original oil.
- Polyunsaturated fats in refined oils are responsible for many diseases. It harms vital bodily functions.
- Nickel presence in refined vegetable oils is hazardous to our breathing system. It is carcinogenic by nature.
- Hydrogenated oils are those which are hydrogenated by incorporating hydrogen gas into oils at high pressure.
- Trans fat, which is a ” healthier” version of hydrogenated oil should be avoided.
- Sodium hydroxide inclusion for the refining process leads to digestive issues such as GERD and gastroenteritis.
Ghee and olive oil are both recognised as beneficial fats. However, ghee tends to have a higher saturated fat content, while olive oil is way richer in monounsaturated fats. The optimum option relies on individual dietary requirements and personal preferences.
Ghee tends to surpass olive oil in shelf life owing to its low moisture consistency and a high concentration of stable saturated fats.
Certainly, ghee and olive oil can be utilized interchangeably in cooking. Although, it’s imperative to address that ghee boasts a higher smoke point when compared to olive oil, providing it a superior option for high-heat cooking techniques that is frying and sautéing.
Involving both ghee and olive oil in a balanced diet can assist weight loss. Although, it’s necessary to exercise moderation, as over excessive consumption of either can result in weight gain.
Undoubtedly, ghee is a healthier option as compared to butter in terms of fat and calorie content. Ghee not only delivers the essential nutrients but also consists of butyric acid, making it a beneficial addition to cooking. In contrast, prolonged utilization of butter is connected with weight gain and an increased risk of cardiovascular problems.
Ghee can be introduced for frying, sautéing vegetables, tempering spices, or as a delectable topping for rice, paranthas, chapati, and lentils, improving the entire aroma and flavor and richness of your dishes.
The superiority among the ghee and oil relies on individual nutritional requirements, as each has distinct qualities. Ghee, clarified butter, is necessary for high-heat cooking because of its increased smoke point and involves the essential fatty acids. Although, it is calorie-dense. Conversely, several types of oils provide diverse health benefits, and the option hinges on specific cooking styles and dietary preferences.
Based on the arguments and reasons, ghee is a healthier and better choice over oils, as ghee is an incredible source of fat, it should be intake in moderation for the best results. The entire goal is to know about the understanding and choosing better for you between oil or desi ghee.
Ghee is the better option for good health wellness. Therefore, it is more recommended to have healthy fats found in SureshGhee direct from the village made by traditional methods that are purely organic. If you want to buy it you can order it online from:https://sureshfoods.com.