Sukhdi recipe – Authentic Gujarati sweet made with ghee (clarified butter), atta (whole wheat flour) & gur (jaggery). In Gujarat, it is known as Sukhdi. While it is called gur papdi in the Maharashtra.
Sukhdi has soft, crumbly and melt in your mouth texture. The piece of gur papdi/sukhdi cannot hold well like burfi or kaju katli. yes it is that soft, so it will get break or fall apart very easily. This texture is because of the ghee. The more ghee you use, more softer you will get.
Ghee and Jaggery keep us warm in winter. it is the perfect fudge/burfi to not only satisfy your cravings but with whole wheat flour in them, healthy too!
Jaggery/gur is not only good for you (full of nutrients and health benefits) but supposedly produces heat in the body when consumed, so it is the ideal food to ingest during cold wintry days. Adding jaggery in your daily diet in limited amounts helps in purifying your blood and thus improving your overall health. Purified blood in the body means healthier you, and thus a better ability to fight infections and diseases. Respiratory issues such as bronchitis and asthma can make breathing very difficult. In Ayurveda, gur or jaggery has been used for time immemorial for curing and preventing respiratory issues. It is believed that when jaggery is eaten, it soothes and nourishes the inflamed airways and thus helps in providing relief and also prevents the condition from further deteriorating. For the added benefits, sesame seeds can be mixed with jaggery to avoid the respiratory difficulties.
Same goes with ghee. According to Ayurveda, consumption of ghee during winters, produces heat in the body, again helps to keep ourselves warm from within. Ghee is a great source of energy, especially in the winter. It releases energy slowly so a single helping of ghee can keep you going for a long time. Replace your processed butter with desi ghee, and you’ll feel healthier and happier. Instead of feeling lethargic throughout the winter, you’ll feel more energetic and prepared to take on the day. A daily intake of 1 teaspoon of desi cow ghee makes sure that your body stays warm throughout the winter. The healthy fats in ghee boost your immunity and keep annoying colds at bay. It can also give you relief from a nagging cough. Heat a tablespoon of desi ghee, add cinnamon and cardamom to it, and let them infuse. Once the ghee is hot, take it off the heat and remove the cinnamon and cardamom from it. Don’t let the ghee burn. Cool the ghee down to a comfortable temperature. Swallow it and your throat will feel a lot better.
Read our blog – Why The Pure Desi Cow Milk Ghee Is Costlier Than Normal Ghee?
Buy Pure Desi Cow Ghee Online : Order Now. Free Shipping
Read our blog- From aiding digestion to glowing skin: Use desi cow ghee as a home remedy
GUR PAPDI/SUKHDI (Whole Wheat Indian Fudge)
A super easy 3-ingredient Indian fudge made with just whole wheat flour, jaggery (unrefined cane sugar) and ghee/clarified butter. Enjoy it as a healthy snack or dessert any time!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta
- ½ cup powdered/grated jaggery (unrefined cane sugar)
- ½ cup ghee/clarified butter
- ¼ teaspoon powdered green cardamoms/elaichi
- 2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds, lightly roasted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Grease a tray with melted ghee/oil and keep aside.
- In a large deep saucepan/kadai, heat ghee until just melted.
- Stir in the atta/whole wheat flour and cook/roast/fry on medium low heat, stirring continuously.
- Keep mixing and stirring until the flour starts to turn slightly dark and you get a nice aroma.
- Initially, when you add the flour and mix, the mixture will be like a thick liquid. As you continue to fry it, you will notice that it starts to thicken and then after it has roasted/fried well, it will loosen up again and will start to look like a liquid again. This took me about 14 minutes.
- At this stage, remove from heat and keep on a trivet. Keep stirring the mixture as the pan is still hot and the flour may burn at the bottom.
- Once the mixture is slightly cool, add the cardamom powder, roasted sesame seeds and powdered/grated jaggery and mix well with a spatula/spoon to combine well.
- As soon as you see the jaggery has completely melted and has combined, immediately pour the mixture into the greased pan.
- Smoothen the top with a flat silicone spatula, greased metal spatula/ flat-bottomed bowl.
- Immediately, sprinkle more sesame seeds and slivered almonds and press gently to embed them into the soft burfi.
- While the burfi is still warm, make cuts into desired shapes. Let cool completely.
- Serve fudgy, healthy and super delicious Gur Papdi/Gol Papdi/Sukhdi to you family and friends this winter. I have been munching on them whenever I get a sweet snack attack; they are so delicious.
- Enjoy and Happy Cooking!
- Addition of cardamom powder and sesame seeds is optional.
- Instead of almonds, you can use any other nut that you prefer.
- Try not to burn the flour while roasting.
- Cut into desired shapes while still warm as it may be difficult once they set.
Read our blog- 8 Reasons You Should Swap Butter for Desi Cow Ghee
Buy Pure Desi Cow Ghee Online : Order Now. Free Shipping
Benefits Of Ghee
It is Packed Full of Fat-Soluble Vitamins A, D, E and K
Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed with fat and stored in the gastrointestinal tract (GI) and they are essential to maintaining a healthy metabolism and required for so many different biochemical processes within the body. Vitamin A & E have been shown to act as powerful antioxidants and Vitamin A and D are important in the health and development of the bone along with the immune function. Ghee also contains a uniquely absorbable form of Vitamin D Which helps with the proper functioning of the synapses in the brain. Vitamin A plays an important role in our liver health, fertility, hormone balance & long-lasting energy. Ghee also contains K2 Vitamin which is important for the body to help utilise minerals, including calcium.
Ghee is very easy to digest. Because ghee is free of casein and other milk solids, it is a great option for people with sensitivities to dairy. Butyrate helps support a healthy digestive tract & decreases inflammation.
Helps Fight Illnesses
Ghee contains both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties making it a great way to boost your immune system and also protects us from infection, especially in the digestive tract. It also helps heal minor illnesses like stomach upset or cold & cough.
It is Heat Stable
It is an excellent fat to use in your cooking & baked goods as it is a stable and natural fat, meaning its chemical structure will not be altered or damaged when it’s heated.